The origin of online gaming started back in the occidental countries in the early 90s, and by now that gaming industry has thrived and spread like wildfire to every corner and nook across the countries. However, growth is always limited literally. Anything that rises to the top will fall, or after a time it won’t grow that much because to take it on an even larger scale would require even larger efforts and most importantly, ideas. Despite reaching the ultimatum, the online gaming industry’s growth is getting stagnant and saturated. That’s the story of occidental countries but if we talk about the oriental countries, which were more ancient in tradition and everything always had a difficulty to cope up with the advancement of technology. After decades of trying and learning, finally, the online gaming industry in India has come of right age to reach out the stars which were once only a madman’s fury.
If the demographics are to be believed in the coming three to five years, it would even beat the film industry regarding revenue generation. Currently, 60% of online gamers in India are under the age of 25 years, and most of them who have the curiosity for gaming wouldn’t even mind sharing their wallet credentials in the coming years. Thus, the future of the gaming industry is secured.
But the things we would like to discuss in here are the reasons behind this huge growth in the online gaming industry. The Indian Government may not conclude with what to do with gambling and betting in India, but they have flagged off Rummy as a legal game as long as the stakes in the games are nominal. Owing to the smart-phone revolution in the country that has been catalytic in the growth of online rummy.
With having more than one billion mobile phone users in the country, the penetration of internet in the lives of these people is way deeper than it can be understood. In India, every year more than 17 million PCs are sold, out of which domestic users consume 50%. Also, with shipments over 1 billion units, India is the home of second largest smartphone consumer market in the world just after China.
With mobile phones becoming the platform of choice for young online gamers, there has been a huge spurt in mobile gaming. Online rummy which is an India centric game is very popular among online gamers across the world too. With many rummy portals offering attractive cash rewards and fabulous gaming experience, online gamers are increasing rapidly.
- Mobile gaming industry and online card games: According to research by Reliance games, the mobile gaming industry is expected to touch USD 3 billion by 2019.
- Contribution of Online rummy to gaming industry: According to FICCI KPMG 2016 Report, the gaming industry is as big as INR 26.5 billion, and the industry is likely to grow to INR 50.7 billion in the year 2020. It is believed that around 40% of this chunk is contributed by free online rummy games in India with a growth rate of 30-40% year-on-year.
- Subscriber base: Many reputed rummy portals enjoy anywhere between 20,000 to over 2 lakh subscribers of their portals. If reports are any indication then, at any given point in time there are over 20,000 to 30,000 playing online rummy.
- Estimated usage time: With an average of a lakh installs every week, an estimated average of 1.5 hours per day is being spent by these players on the table.
- Advertising and marketing spend by rummy players: It is observed that like any other e-commerce player, online rummy players spend around 20-30% of their revenue for advertising and marketing activities of their brands.
To make sure the gamers are engaged, rummy portals are offering rewards and exceptional gaming experience. But in the coming days, one of the key challenges to this industry would be the availability of talented developers and programmers. The need is to train and develop those skills.